Susquehanna Valley Ethical Society's Mission Statement
The Susquehanna Valley Ethical Society is a humanist, non-theistic, educational, philosophical and charitable organization. We are inspired by the ideal that the supreme aim of human life is to create a more just, equitable, diverse, sustainable, and compassionate society. We endeavor to nurture the capacity and responsibility of human beings to act in their personal relationships and in the larger community to help create a better world. Our commitment is to the worth and dignity of every individual and to treating each human being so as to bring out the best in them and in doing so bring out the best in ourselves. We join together to assist each other in developing ethical ideas and ideals, to celebrate life's joys and support each other through life's crises, and to cultivate ethical behavior in the community around us.
- We affirm the worth, dignity, and uniqueness of every human being.
- Reason, compassion, and responsibility are central to our community.
- We strive to protect the earth on which we are all dependent.
- We celebrate life’s joys and support each other through life’s crises.
- We work together to improve our world and the world of our children.
- We help our children internalize their own code of ethics and rely on it when they face difficult choices.
- We concentrate on this life, rather than on some afterlife.
- Our relationships with other human beings are more important than agreeing on the existence of a supreme being.
- Deed is more important than creed.
- We believe life is most meaningful when it is lived ethically.